Friday, October 1, 2010

Upcoming Designers

NIA COBB
Design, color, fabric, and events are where Nia Cobb gets her inspiration to spin fashion into her own style. Fashion can no longer be considered a hobby or a trade but a work of art. This art has the power of changing one’s emotions, body shape, and persona. Designer Nia Cobb made fashion her life and will continue to get her name heard in the industry. Cobb was born in Willingboro, New Jersey on April 1, 1987 and graduated from Willingboro High School in 2005. From graduating high school, Cobb was drawn to the Art Institute of Philadelphia to pursue her dreams of a designer. Cobb will be graduating June of 2010 with a Bachelors of Science in Fashion Design.

Getting to Know Miss. Cobb:
What was your 1st article of clothing you ever designed?
My 11th grade prom dress, at first I was so proud of it because I actually designed and created it. But now when I look back I can see all my mistakes due to the fact that I did not have any type direction.

How long does it usually take for you to construct a piece?
It depends, if it’s an extravagant piece it will take no longer than a week. However, a regular piece will only take me a day or two.

How is the process?
First, I find my inspiration or a special event that helps me get the idea. Second, sketch and understand the design. Third, find the fabrics; however, the design of the fabric can change the whole piece. Fourth, drape the design. Lastly, make the whole entire piece.

What are some accomplishments as a designer?
Some of my designs has made it into our showcase of the Art Institute of Philadelphia. Also I won fashion designer of the year at a Hair/Fashion show in New Jersey.
 
Who are your favorite designers?
Both Vivian Westwood and Tracy Reese. These two designers are able to craft their designs into a simple but wearable look.

Your suggestion of good clothing stores and magazines?
Personally, I do not believe that you have to go to high price stores like Barneys but shop at Vintage shops, Mom and Pop stores, or even Goodwill. These stores gives a one of a kid look and makes it easier to craft certain outfits. The magazines I choose to read and get my motivation from are W, Vogue, and InStyle.

How do you select your models?
My models are today’s typical look, a size 6 woman with curves. Also my models are usually not models which makes it easier to train them. Yet, the designs I craft are of different size ranges but tend to the women with a curvaceous body.

More Designs by Nia Cobb




Nia Cobb has a fun and flirty line and Addiction Magazine will keep supporting this designer in all of her endeavors.

Further Information on this designer:

and
Addiction Magazine



No comments:

Post a Comment